Video capturing - Pinnacle

YigalB byigal at zahav.net.il
Thu Oct 28 18:13:50 UTC 2004

>YigalB wrote:

>> the

>>>It's more like "buy a cheaper video capture device that has Linux
>>>drivers."  I looked for a USB capture device with Linux drivers to
use
>>>on my laptop but I never found one that works well.  Both the Dazzle
>>>DVC80 and WinTV USB were quite bad.
>>>
>>>Many PCI capture devices such as WinTV PCI or TV Wonder work
perfectly.
>>>(TV Wonder VE $30US vs DVC150 $150US)
>>>

>>>As for software, Kino is a popular video editing program.  It
supports
>>>DV sources and any capture device with Video4Linux drivers.
>>

>> [<Yigal>] I need to capture analog video. Before I bought it I
>> considered many parameters and preferred USB because I can move it
>> between computers easily. I just forgot to check the Linux drivers
issue
>> - I was sure it's obvious. Is there anything I can do now to use it
with
>> Fedora?
>>
>I am looking at a device as well and I have been looking at
>   http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-100/pt_advc-100.asp
>
>I found a site that explains how to use this with Linux and Kino.  It
>isn't USB but it is supposed to work.  There is supposed to be one
>around work that I want to try.
>Robin Laing

[<Yigal>] Looks good, but my problem remains the same - I am not going
to spend money again - so I will have to keep the XP. The main problem
is the capture of analog video (I think DV devices connect directly to
USB or FW) - and this is the case where the OS is tested. Once I have to
use XP to capture - I better stay and edit the video there.
I wonder: if you buy that device- how can you be sure that it will work
with the so many Linux flavors and with the future ones to come?