Some thoughts about yum and repositories

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 28 20:20:06 UTC 2004

D. D. Brierton wrote:
> Judging from recent discussions on this list, it seems that many are
> still confused about configuring their yum.conf files, and about all the
> different repositories out there. I was wondering what we, the Fedora
> community, might do to make this easier. I'm not so much thinking about
> documentation -- it seems to me that FedoraFAQ.org does a pretty good
> job of explaining stuff to people, however it still requires that they
> find it or look for it in the first place. I was wondering if there was
> something that could be done to yum itself (either the client program
> itself, or the format of yum repositories) to make this easier.
>

> I'm really hoping some people might have other suggestions, or comments
> on what I've said above.
>
> Best, Darren

Another option would be an easier frontend that would allow easy
editting of yum.conf file.

A generic list of locations that could be checked or unchecked to
select the sites, mirrors and backups.  The admin could then select
with repo's would be used.  Warnings about possible conflicts and
signitures would then be dealt with at one time.

Why should a new user with no knownledge have to struggle to find
software and sites.  Manually configure a file and then hope it works
when a graphical frontend could do all that.  How hard would it be for
redhat or fedora.us to have a central file of all repositories and
mirrors generated into a single array that can be used in a frontend?

Necessary locations could be in a green or must have repo's list.
Yellow for repo's that are supportive of the main distro's and red for
lists that may not work with or between distro's.

These points are in line with what you are asking for.

Along with a graphical package manager.
--
Robin Laing