Video capturing - Pinnacle

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 28 20:36:12 UTC 2004

YigalB wrote:

> [<Yigal>] I don't know firewire that well. With USB it's different - the
> USB device is recognized by OS when inserted (hot insertion) by the OS -
> and this can be done by any modern OS. The problem is how to control the
> flow of the data that goes on that bus: and for that you need the
> drivers which should interface to the capturing software. In my case,
> the DVC150 can be use by Pinnacles' Studio software, and they have no
> intention to deliver Linux software, so I assume I have no choice -
> unless I will buy FireWire device, and in that case I will need FireWire
> PCI card, and why not - A DV camera... quite expansive thing in order to
> work with free of charge OS.
> BTW - when I plugged the DVC150 to the Linux PC - I got no response at
> all - with XP I am used to see the OS recognize the hot insertion.
> Shouldn't FC2 recognize it as well ?

The point of USB recognition is easier in Window as most of the
drivers are supplied with Windows.  As most manufactures, Pinnale as
an example don't support Linux, you have to do some work to get the
same features.  I don't have much experience with USB but I have been
able to get plug and recognize with jumpdrives and cameras in FC1.
All it takes is a simple editing of a configuration file in most cases.

I suspect that you may have gotten a response but nothing that you
noticed.  Check your log files to see if the device was recognized and
as what.  This is the first line to getting any device to work on USB
in Linux.

http://www.linux-usb.org/

It would be nice if xyz manufacturer would support linux out of the
box but when you have an almost monopoly in power, why spend the time
to support something else.

One thing about free as in Linux, it leaves you much more money for
the better toys.  When I don't have to spend $700 for an office
program to write letters or do presentations with, I can spend that
money on a better camera or computer.  If it takes a bit of work to
get the odd think to function, I have taken the time to learn something.

I have yet to find any reason to even own a copy of Windows since
3.11.  I have a copy of 95 that was on a dual boot machine (Pentium
90) but I have no use for that.

If you want to stay in the Windows World, do so, it is your choice.
When I purchase hardware, I ensure it will work with Linux.  Same goes
for software, oh yea, I haven't had to purchase any software yet, even
for work. :)

One last thing, I know any file that I create on my Linux box will be
viewable or usable in Windows.  I cannot say the same for any files
that are created in Windows will be viewable in Linux or even another
Windows box.  Look at Windows DRM issues.
--
Robin Laing