redirect http to https - problem (with forms?)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Oct 29 08:51:38 UTC 2004

Götz Reinicke wrote:
> I tried
>
> RewriteEngine    On
> RewriteRule    ^(/.*)    https://my.site.domain$1 [L,R]
>
> and
>
> RewriteEngine    on
> RewriteRule    ^/(.*)$    https://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1    [R]
>
> but I have a problem with the mailman and fudforum pages the server hosts.
>
> On the mailman-page for aprove or reject moderated messages, I'm send
> back to the same page. Trying to login to fudforum redirects me into a
> loop back to the loginpage.
>
> Any ideas on that?

What do the URLs for these things look like? Are they both forms that need
submitting? How do you reach a point at which these pages can be accessed
through http rather than https? Shouldn't the user being going to (say) the
mailman top page, get redirected to the https version of that page and then
everything from that point on is https and doesn't use the redirect? Do your
pages for mailman etc. have hardcoded http: URLs in them rather than https?

Paul.