Sendmail Milter Question

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri Oct 29 09:27:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 15:43, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 03:02, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
[snip]
[/snip]
> However, to answer your original question, I have my MSP send mail out
> via my MSA, not my MTA, and this is how I do it:

Why do you need to have AUTH?? Your Relay provides AUTH is it? (or I
gather it's your own MTA somewhere) Lookin at the headers, it's
goalkeeper.

GoalKeeper is TLS Enabled, and thus encrypted, but after it reaches
mx1.redhat.com, it becomes plaintext. (correct?)

[snip]
> 1. Create an AUTH user ID for the client:
>
>   saslpasswd2 -a Sendmail -c -u <server-hostname> <msp-username>
>   --> when prompted, enter the password
[/snip]
Thanks for the detail write up. Needs some digestion.

>   dnl Use the MSA with AUTH
>   define(`RELAY_MAILER_ARGS', `TCP $h 587')

What's $h? Hostname? port 587? That's the definition of the MSA right?

> 5. Add to sendmail.mc:
>
>   LOCAL_RULESETS
>   SLocal_trust_auth
>   R$*           $: $&{auth_authen}
>   Rsmmsp        $# OK

What about this in the sendmail-cf docs?
Other things don't work well with the MSP and require tweaking or
workarounds.  For example, to allow for client authentication it
is not just sufficient to provide a client certificate and the
corresponding key, but it is also necessary to make the key group
(smmsp) readable and tell sendmail not to complain about that, i.e.,

        define(`confDONT_BLAME_SENDMAIL', `GroupReadableKeyFile')

Additionally the MTA must trust this authentication data so the AUTH=
part will be relayed on to the next hop

Now.. The question is, does it retain it's TLS/encrypted state after leaving the MSA
or MTA? on to the next mail hop?