samba, FC3T3 to XP shares

W. Guy Thomas mrguytx at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 30 17:26:17 UTC 2004

I have used samba a bit in the past and never had this issue.
I successfully mount my XP share to my FC3 box and can move stuff at
will back and forth in a term shell.
However, when I use a gnome GUI to do it, the share always appears write
protected. I have given "everyone" full priveleges to this share since
it's just a repository I use to go back and forth with files.
I'm sure it's some kind of permissions problem, but I can't figure out
why with "everyone/full" I still get read only when logged in as myself.
Root can of course do whatever it wants.

As much as I like a good term, sometimes it's much easier to drag and
drop 4 files with very dissimilar names using a gui rather than a term.

for instance, I use smbmount //server/share /mnt/share username
get prompted for Password:
enter the password
share is there
just read only for *me*, not root.

Any pointers?

--
=Guy
12:22:30 up 1 day, 14:51, 3 users, load average: 1.04, 0.71, 0.88