How about the support of FC for laptop?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Oct 31 20:18:15 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 13:33, Craig Thomas wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 13:11, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > The other issue I had with laptop support is that for pcmcia network
> > adapters (wireless or wired) you need to tell it NOT to start at boot
> > time.  When pcmcia services are started later on the network interfaces
> > will be started anyway.
> This makes sense, when you consider that [by default] network interfaces
> get loaded before pcmcia and thus network services would fail if the
> [pcmcia] network card is told to load at boot.

I still contend that this is broken.  I understand the sequence problem
with network starting before pcmcia.  For awhile I modified the startup
sequence to start pcmcia first then network.  However if I tell the
system NOT to start that network interface at boot time then I expect it
NOT to start at boot time.  The way it works now you are not able to
prevent a pcmcia interface from starting unless it is not configured.
For those lucky enough to have multiple pcmcia interfaces they would
have problems getting only one to start at boot time.

A new process needs to be used to recognize that the interface being
started is a pcmcia device and delay the actual startup until the pcmcia
system has started.  And if you have marked it NOT to start at boot then
the interface will NOT be started when pcmcia is started.

The way it is now is confusing at best and broken at worst and should be
fixed.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Write yourself a threatening letter and pen a defiant reply.