16x9 aspect ratio display

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sun Oct 31 22:05:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, James Wilkinson wrote:

> Bill Gradwohl wrote:
>> I run my 20" at 1024x768. If I were 20 years old; said another way, if I
>> were 35 years younger, I'd probably crank up the resolution, but its
>> just not comfortable for me.
>
> As you say, it's personal preference. Personally, I tend to increase the
> screen size and then increase the font size to compensate. You may find
> that your text is actually the same size, but less blocky: I find that
> easier to read.

Increasing the resolution of your text will almost allways make it more
more readable. I fit about the same number of 80x25 terminals on my
1920x1440 21" crt (4-6 per page) as I used to on a 15" 1024x768 tube.
assuming the same font size, at ~150dpi each character is composed of
about 4x more pixels then it is at 72dpi which is the alleged norm for
monitors. it's still about 1/8 the number of dots a reasonable laser
printer will assemble the same character out of.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu