Dual Boot XP/FC2 Install Problem

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Sep 1 00:58:20 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 01.09.2004 schrieb Richard Heldmann um 2:27:

> I tried an install this past weekend, and the machine gave me the same
>  error message when I loaded the CHS geometry(I was trying to avoid
>  the dual boot bug).
>
> Without the CHS geometry, the install proceeds fine, but when finished, I
> can't boot XP.  I could boot into Fedora and into the Dell Diagnostic
> Utility hidden partition.  As I remember, the Dell Utility hidden partition
> was given as

I see. Changing the BIOS setting for the drive from AUTO to LBA did not
work?

> (hd0,0).  So I thought I could just modify the grub.conf file to (hd0,1),
> to access the XP partition, but that file did not save correctly.  So I
> thought
> I had a bad partition table.  I could not access my hard drive with the
> Fedora
>  Rescue disk and could not issue the command:
> sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk --no-reread -H255 /dev/hda
> or the command fdisk -l /dev/hda

That is curious that /dev/hda was not accessable from CD1 in rescue
mode. Please check your BIOS settings, maybe install a newer BIOS
version if available.

> I ended up using: fdisk /mbr and that allowed me to boot back into XP.  One
> other thing I have noticed since then, is that my Knoppix 3.6 CD can read my
> hard disk.  The command: fdisk -l /dev/hda works and the command
> sfdisk  -d /dev/hda also works.  I don't know if I can write to it.

You can do the same from the Knoppix CD.

> What a mess!  I am lost.

http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2.shtml

That page you probably know already, at least it's content.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 02:54:36 up 2 days, 11 users, load average: 0.82, 0.48, 0.44