Running fedora core 2 on Intel 915 chipset

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 1 06:03:22 UTC 2004

Matthew Asplund wrote:

> I just got three Dell GX280 computers for a lab, and tried to put
> Fedora Core 2 on them.  Initially the network and X11 didn't work.  I
> upgraded the kernel to the newest, and then the network works.  As far
> as X11, no luck so far.  Even with the device set for VESA (using a
> Dell 19" LCD with DVI connector) the monitor goes to sleep, and I get
> a warning saying that it cannot lock a region of memory.  On the
> suggestion of somebody on a dell support forum, I downloaded the
> latest Intel drivers and tried to compile them.  Their script dies,
> saying that I need the latest version of the modules.
>
> Has anybody already played with this?  Is there an easy solution
> (well, there is always the "put a different video card in" solution,
> but that is so inelegant).
>
> Matthe Asplund

Inelegant, but possibly necessary. If you're playing with 915 stuff,
you're currently pretty bleeding edge. Driver support will be slow, as
this new Intel Graphics is totally different to Express 1 and 2. Your
best bet is persisting with the Intel drivers (e-mail them - they're
pretty good), or, chuck in a cheapie nvidia you have lying around.

Regards,
Ed.