actual binary sizes and those reported by 'rpm'

Ross Macintyre raz at macs.hw.ac.uk
Wed Sep 1 08:26:06 UTC 2004

I'm at the moment about to install fedora (core2) on a load of public lab
machines for students to use.
Before I do so I'm having a quick look at the environment and have put
core2 on a couple of machines, one with a fresh install and the other by
upgrading from 8.0 to Fedora core2.
I was just checking things when I notices that these 2 binaries were
different sizes: /usr/bin/ypbind.

I at first thought that they belonged to different RPMs but when I ran
'rpm -qf /sbin/ypbind' I saw that indeed they had the same version of the
ypbind rpm. The strange  thing is that the machine that has the 'correct'
size of binary is the upgraded machine, whereas the newly installed
machine has a binary that is a different size to that reported by the RPM
database.

Here's what output from the new machine:

[root at lx7 root]# rpm -qf /sbin/ypbind
ypbind-1.17.2-1
[root at lx7 root]# rpm -qlv ypbind-1.17.2-1|grep /sbin/ypbind
-r-xr-xr-x    1 root    root            31512 Feb 24  2004 /sbin/ypbind
[root at lx7 root]# ls -l /sbin/ypbind
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 34404 Feb 24  2004 /sbin/ypbind

What's going on?
Can someone explain this discrepancy?

Thanks in advance,

Ross