Problem playing DVD's

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at att.net
Wed Sep 1 12:38:37 UTC 2004

Joachim Backes wrote:

>On 01-Sep-2004 Clint Harshaw wrote:
>

>> Bill Tetens wrote:
>>

>>>I got some advice about loading Totem to play movies with the DVD drive
>>>I just installed.
>>>
>>>Using the instructions I inslalled lidvd* libMad* totem* using Yum from
>>>Dag and as far as I can tell the install went without a hitch.
>>>

>> I don't know if this will address the specific error that you are
>> getting, but double-check the libdvd* libmad* above. There are errors,
>> spelling and capitalization, in what you provided that would prevent
>> Totem from working properly.
>>
>> Here is the correct command you'll want:
>>
>># yum install libdvd* libmad* totem*
>>

>I would say: yum install 'libdvd*' 'libmad*' 'totem*'
>
>Joachim Backes
>
>--
>
>Joachim Backes <backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
>University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center,
>High Performance Computing Department,
>D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany
>Phone: +49-631-205-2438, FAX: +49-631-205-3056
>http://hlrwm.rhrk.uni-kl.de/home/staff/backes.html
>

>> Hope this helps,
>> Clint
>>

>>>When I try to start the Totem movie player I get the followin error
>>>message.  Any one got any help I hope so.
>>>
>>>Error message:
>>>
>>>Totem could not startup
>>>Could not link video output thread (cs and balance}
>>>
>>>If you have a solution give me a lot of details as I am still a beginner.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Bill
>>>

>> --

I just tried that and got the following result.]

# yum install libdvd* libmad* totem*
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora.us Extras (Stable)
Server: Fedora.us Extras (Testing)
Server: Fedora.us Extras (Unstable)
Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
Server: macromedia.mplug.org - Flash Plugin
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Released Updates
retrygrab() failed for:

http://ftp.ens.utulsa.edu/pub/linux/fedora/core/updates/2/i386/headers/header.info
  Executing failover method
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
gstreamer-plugins-mp3-0-0 100% |=========================| 3.5 kB
00:00
Resolving dependencies
....Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package totem-mozilla needs totem = 0:0.99.12-0.lvn.2.2, this is not
available.

Is it saying totem is not available for FC2?

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia