20K(+) messages on this Mailing List folder

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 07:34:36 UTC 2004

On Thursday 02 Sep 2004 4:20 am, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I subscribed to this list on May,2004. So far, I haven't delete any
> message at all because once in a while I perform a search against it
> whenever I need to find out about something (rather than going to the
> redhat archive).
>
> I use Kmail on a Tualatin 1.4 Ghz, 512 MB and a 7200 RPM IDE disk. I
> now have 24,219 messages on the folder. I'm NOW starting to feel it.
> Although I was used to the 6-8 seconds it took Kmail to load...now
> when I click on the Fedora-list folder, it takes about 1.5 seconds
> before it shows me a message at all.
>
> What do you recommend me?
>
> Should I:
>
> 1> Buy a 10K RPM SCSI hard-disk? (would I notice a big improvement?)
> 2> Switch to maildir format?
> 3> Delete old msg's and get the habit of using redhat archive?
>
> Comments are welcome!
>
> Jorge

Hi Jorge

Do what I do, wait the 1.5 seconds.

Really, I personally have the archive for that folder set to 6 months
and that keeps it down to approx 37k messages. 1.5 seconds ain't that
much and is much easier than your option 1. Option 2 I don't think will
make much difference, but you can do it easily enough if you want to
try.

Create a new folder in maildir format. Copy all messages to it.  This
may take a while as it doesn't always copy messages in non-expanded
threads.

Then delete the old folder and rename the new one.  You may have to
re-create the filer rules though.

As I said, personally I live with the 1.5 seconds.

Gary

--
Gary Stainburn