Image Editing slow in Fedora

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Fri Sep 3 12:25:02 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 07:06, Alexander Apprich wrote:
<a.apprich at science-computing.de>
> Jon,
>
> Jon Shorie wrote:
> > We have some 300 dpi 24x36" greyscale scans of some of our plans.  I am
> > looking for an image editor that works with linux that is reasonably
> > quick for working with these images.  The fiels are saved as a tif image
> > and are about 4 mb in size.
> >
> > When I load one of them into gimp, it balloons to about 90mb in size and
> > performance is extremely poor.  I have verified that gimp is not
> > converting the image to RGB, but it still is too slow to use on a daily
> > basis.
> >
> > If I load the image into windoze imaging, it stays as a 4mb image and
> > performance is reasonable.
> >
> > I went through the documentation for gimp, but I did not see anything
> > that looks useful.  Any suggestions?
>
> just to make it complete...
>
> what are your system specs?? FC1 or FC2, which kernel...
>
> Also, is it possible for you to send one (or more) of these pics
> off list, so maybe I or someone else can verify it

Sorry for not posting system specs earlier.

Athlon Thunderbird 1400 512MB Ram.  ATI Radeon 7000 AGP Video Card.  7200RPM
15GB Hard Drive.  Fedora Core 2.  Linux kernal 2.6.8-1.521.  Motherboard is
an ECS board with VIA KT133A chipset.

I did try a few more things since posting this question.  I upgraded the
memory to 768 mb and adjusted the preferences in gimp to Tile Cache Size of
384MB and Minimum undo levels to 4 from the defaults of 64MB and 5.

This seemed to improve matters somewhat, but it still a lot slower than
windoze imaging on my windoze box which only has
Athlon Duron 600 512MB Ram ATI Rage 128 Pro Video Card 5400RPM 8GB Hard Drive
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.

We are in the process of scanning about 10000 of these images.

I have a version of one of the images with the information that is
confidential removed.  I can post it as an attachment, but the size of the
file is 2.8 mb.

I am also wondering if anyone has any idea why gimp shows the size as 300mb
internally when the file itself is only 2.8mb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.