FC/WinXP: Dual-booting a headless PC

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Sep 3 20:57:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 21:35, Sanjay Arora wrote:
> I want to dual boot a PC without monitor.
>
> I have thought about scripting to change the boot default to xp from
> linux but an not able to figure out how to script from xp to change the
> boot default to linux, so that upon rebooting I can boot in linux.
>
> FYI, I plan to use a tightvnc server on both linux & xp to use my normal
> pc for working.
>
> Any other workaround to do this?

What you need is to have the configuration file for your bootloader on a
partition that is writable by both OSes. So the means to do this will
depend on what your bootloader is and where it lives.

If you're using grub with the grub.conf file on an ext2 filesystem, you
could use the ext2 filesystem driver for Windows
(http://www.tuningsoft.com/projects/projects.htm#ext2fsd) and edit your
grub.conf from there.

If you're using the XP bootloader on a FAT partition, everything is very
easy and you don't need anything special. If it's on an NTFS partition,
you're going to have problems because the ntfs driver for Linux is very
reluctant to write files.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>