USB Mass storage device

Nathan Bullock nathan_kent_bullock at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 4 13:01:53 UTC 2004

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question, the
pointers helped my education move along greatly.

To summarize things for anyone who is also interested
in the answers to my earlier questions.

 --- Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:
> These devices have two variants of firmware: the
> version it comes with
> may well not support USB mass storage.

This appears to be the case for most iRiver flash
devices, the two types of firmware available are
iRiver Music Manager (IMM) and UMS (USB Mass Storage).
The first of these is what comes on the devices when
purchased, the second can be put on the device after
the fact. The first needs special software to interact
with the device the second, I am assuming, just works
like any other storage device. Just mount and use.
Although from what I have read the UMS firmware
cripples the device slightly.

This was as far as I got though. My iFP-780 seems to
be two new for either of these solutions. iRiver has
not got around to releasing the UMS firmware for the
700 series (it was supposed to come out in July I
believe, but it still isn't here). The software
available for linux to access the IMM firmware
(giriver and libiriver) doesn't seem to work on the
700 series either. It can do some things, like list
the files on the device and create new directories on
the device, but as soon as you try to move files on,
or off the device it either crashes or says "That file
cannot be found".

Anyways this may serve as a heads up to anyone looking
at this type of iRiver devices. If I manage to find
anyway to get things working I will re-post an update
to this. Thanks for everyones help.

Nathan Bullock

ps. I realize this may not be a question for this list
so ignore if you want. Does anyone know which portable
mp3 players support UMS directly? I don't want to do
any fooling around. Just plug in and mount.

=====
Visit my website at http://bullock.mooo.com