Changing VNC desktop default

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Mon Sep 6 04:03:20 UTC 2004

John Rowan wrote, On 09/05/2004 07:20 PM:
> Some time ago I changed my RH 9 machine's default desktop accessed via
> VNC.   I want to have Gnome or KDE available when I VNC into my FC2
> machine rather than the plain jane default.  I can't remember how I
> changed my RH 9 machine and searching Yahoo hasn't helped.   Suggestions?

I have done this a couple times and always forget how it's done. So I
wrote it in my notebook:

Here's how I set it up for kde with two potential users:

First file: make /etc/sysconfig/vncservers looks like this approx:
(if only 1 user, just list one and reduce array to just 1 element.
Also, you can adjust the geometry and depth to your liking.)

VNCSERVERS="1:gene 2:marianne"
# VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 800x600"
VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1152x864 -alwaysshared -depth 16 "
VNCSERVERARGS[2]="-geometry 1152x864 -alwaysshared -depth 16 "

make ~/.vnc/xstartup looks like this approx:
(but must use "exec gnome-session" to start gnome instead of startkde I
think.)

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
#xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#twm &
startkde &

run these commands as root:
$ /etc/init.d/vncserver start
$ /sbin/chkconfig --add vncserver
$ /sbin/chkconfig --level 5 vncserver on

Vncserver (running kde or gnome) will now start automatically.