Install Fedora Core 2

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 6 06:31:04 UTC 2004

Ronald wrote:

> When I try to boot from the 1st CD I downloaded nothing happens,

What does "nothing happens" mean? Please be specific:

1> The PC will not go past the BIOS screen.
2> The PC Starts booting the CD, then dies (what is on the screen if
this is the case?)
3> The PC boots the hard drive instead of the CD.

We can only help when you tell us exactly what's going on.

> the home dir of this CD from a Windows listing:
> Name                                                Type
> SRPMS                                            File Folder
> .discinfo                                            DISCINFO File
> eula.txt                                             Text Document
> GPL                                                 File
> RPM-GPG_KEY                                File
> RPM-GPG-KEY-beta                         File
> RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora                       File
> RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-rawhide           File
> RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test                File
> RPM-GPG-KEY-rawhide                    File
> TRANS.TBL                                      TBL File

That looks incomplete to me.

> Since the first disc does not appear to be a bootable cd I have created
> the restore and boot cd's to boot up RecHat.

The first CD is most certainly bootable if it's downloaded and burned
properly. Something is wrong.

    However when I reboot
> with either CD I get to the installation window asking for the Fedora
> Core CD and get the following message:
> "The Fedora Core CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives.  Please
> insert the Fedora Core CD and press OK to retry."

OK, first thing you need to do is run an MD5SUM against the .ISO files
to make sure you don't have a dud download. Please try the archives
again. This has been discussed as late as yesterday.

Regards,
Ed.