is it possible to downgrade kernels after deletion?

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 7 00:50:11 UTC 2004

Clint Harshaw wrote:

> I've upgraded kernels whenever the latest one came out. Tested it for
> a couple of days and everything seemed to work fine, so I deleted the
> previous kernel (2.6.7.something).
>
> Now I've learned that I can't burn CD's with my current kernel, and
> the recommended solution that keeps coming up is to downgrade the
> kernel to the 2.6.7.x kernel, which I've deleted.
>
> The errors I'm getting are posted at this url:
> http://www.penguinsolutions.org/errors
>
> I can't burn cds, even as a root user.
>
> So is there a way that I can put the 2.6.7.x kernel back on here with
> yum? I'm using a yum.conf that is only minorly modified from that one
> found at fedorafaq.org (seamonkey is on there, and I've commented out
> the testing and unstable repos).
>
> Thanks,
> Clint

I have multiple kernel versions installed from yum/apt with no trouble.
After upgrading to 2.6.8, I too had the CD burning problem, so I went
back to 2.6.7-1.456_4.rhfc2.at. I also have 2.6.8 and 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
installed. I have been using the Synaptic GUI for apt-get mostly, which
adds kernel upgrades into the grub.conf so that there are many kernel
choices when I see the grub menu at bootup. I like setting it up this
way because I have other choices if one kernel doesn't work. I haven't
upgraded a kernel with yum for a while, but I think I remember yum
simply replaces the kernel entry in the grub.conf so that you only have
1 kernel choice in the menu. This isn't a problem, and you can always
add in your own kernel entires if you want.

To install an older kernel version, you could just go to the repo
website of your choice and download the rpm version you want, or if you
know the exact name of the rpm, you could do

yum install kernel#2.6.7-1.494.2.2

Good luck!