FC1 Printer sharing only works with Win98

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 7 03:19:23 UTC 2004

M.Hockings wrote:

>> Hey Mike. I remember doing this way back and running into the exact
>> same problems. It has something to do with permissions. Do you get
>> 'Connect error - access denied', when you look at the printers folder
>> in W2K/XP?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ed.
>

> Yup, Win2K reports "Access denied, unable to connect".  FCx doesn't
> appear to report anything, just nothing gets printed.
>
> Mike

Yes. Good fun isn't it. You'd think after all these samba releases since
97 or so, we'd finally be rid of this kind of crud.

Look, I remember screwing with machine names, user names and passwords,
samba configuration settings, and CUPS setting (for raw printing).
Eventually it worked (although the access denied message never went
away). A few releases later and I haven't bothered trying any more.

I did keep a link from then though - and it looks like it could help:

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/printing.html#id2546603

Oh, and please be aware if your printer uses a print monitor, it will
not work through samba period.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer. I couldn't find one way back
then either.

Regards,
Ed.