Updates of Cyrus IMAPD packages for Fedora Core 2

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 8 19:56:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 07:07:45PM +0200, Pascal wrote:

> My question is more general : what are criteria to decide an update
> of a package for a Fedora Release ?

There are perhaps a thousand specific answers to this
topic.
    $ rpm -qa | wc -l
    1361

My observation is that packages are not updated if the bugs can be
addressed in a simple patch.

So if the locking problem you make reference to in Cyrus-IMAPD
is isolated to a fragment of code then that code would be
patched/fixed.

This has the advantage of not changing the functionality of
the package and will be transparent to almost all users.

As we have seen with the IMAP function package changes in FC2 (Cyrus &
Dovecott) transparency can be important.  At some point patching
becomes problematic and the RH keeper of the rpm package will upgrade
and we will have to manage changes.

Release cycles and goals being what they are, FC users will see more
upgrades than the Enterprise RH users who will see more effort at
patching code.

If Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora share a common package I would
expect patch work to be done only once and the resulting code built
for multiple packages.  Where FC is out in front of RHEL I would
expect that FC users would see a package upgrade, depending on the
nature of the bug and bugfix.

When  RHEL upgrades it will likely be to a package we in FC land
have been using for some time.  :-) i.e. demonstrated stability or
demonstrated value add.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Just say no to 74LS73 in 2004