why LogWatch send me a mail

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Sep 9 13:11:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 06:43, Roberto Felloni wrote:
> Hi to all.
>
> Sorry if I ask stupid thing...
> I'm newer of Linux; I'm windows user and to understand linux behaviour
> is for me too hard.

    Nah, you'll warm up to it.  In fact, some of what I've learned has
been in saying "What the heck is that?!!?!" from things I saw in
LogWatch. It's a handy tool.

> At any boot, LogWatch send me a mail with some information than I
> don't understand:
>  --------------------- sendmail Begin ------------------------
> **Unmatched Entries**
>    STARTTLS=server: file /etc/mail/certs/cert.pem unsafe: No such file
> or directory: 1 Time(s)
>  ---------------------- sendmail End -------------------------

    This (I'm fudging) has to do with not having _unique_ certificates
set up properly on your server.  There are howtos for this on the net.
I'm having to get mine set up, too....I don't like people using POP/IMAP
on my site without their passwords being scrambled.  They *might* not be
necessary if cleartext passwords are no problem for you. (The howto will
tell the tale; see google.)

    Not a problem; modern Linux appears to want to start IP version 4
AND 6 versions of things. I'm thinking they have a plan to move us that
way, soon.  This one isn't a problem.

> ------------------ Disk Space --------------------
> /dev/hdc2             878M  156M  678M  19% /
> /dev/hda1              76M  5.9M   67M   9% /boot
> /dev/hda2             8.6G  113M  8.1G   2% /home
> none                  126M     0  126M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/hda3             3.9G  2.6G  1.1G  71% /usr
> /dev/hdd1             2.0G  152M  1.8G   8% /var

    This is a hard drive usage list.

    /dev/hda<partition number> is a partition on the primary master,
hdb, the secondary.

    /dev/hdc<partition number> is a partition on the secondary master,
and hdd, the secondary.  Some motherboards have more, but this is
standard.

    /dev/shm is kinda new to me, but it vaguely relates to 'shared
memory' and I *think* deals with swap space, or a RAM-based temporary
storage (think: /tmp directory).  I'm no expert on this.

> Someone understand what's mean ?
> Someone can give a right way to decode this message and for to
> understand log files ?
>
> Best regard and thank's in advantage
> roberto

    Some of these are already discussed in this list; most you'll just
have to learn-as-you-go.  Don't worry- we're here to help, as long as
you at least _try_ to research it on your own.

    Good luck!
Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller