RH9 -> FC2 breaks GRUB?

Andrew Leahy aleahy at knox.edu
Thu Sep 9 21:17:17 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm in the process of upgrading a bunch of systems across campus from
Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 2 (via a complete re-install) and I've run
across an interesting problem.  In two of the four different types of
systems I've upgraded, GRUB no longer works after installing FC2.  The
symptoms are that after the initial installation the system will hang on
the reboot with only the word "GRUB" displayed in the upper left-hand
corner of the screen.  The systems where grub continues to work after
the upgrade use Asus A7M266-D and Supermicro 370DL3 motherboards.  The
systems where grub no longer works are based on Asus P4B and Asus
CUV4X-D motherboards.  I mention the motherboards because in at least
one case (Asus P4B) the solution was to upgrade to the latest BIOS.
However, that trick hasn't worked with the CUV4X-D motherboard.

One other difference between the two systems is that the systems where
grub fails have two hard drives (with linux being installed on the
master disk).  However, I've done the installation with the other drive
disconnected and come across the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew Leahy

---