aic7xx system hangs

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Sep 10 23:51:07 UTC 2004

Jeremy Conlin wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2004, at 5:23 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Conlin wrote:
>>
>>> I did install FC2 from the CDs.  My latest installation was upgrading
>>> from RH9.  I know my system will boot into RH9 so that is where I
>>> started.
>>
>> If you upgraded from RH9, wouldn't you have the old kernel?
>> If that worked with RH9, it should work with FC2.
>>
>> I have a machine (desktop) with SCSI only disks.
>> The kernel that came with FC1 did not work,
>> and neither did the kernel that came with FC2.
>> (I don't remember if the kernel that came with RH9 worked,
>> but the one that came with RH8 definitely did.)
>> But in each case I upgraded from the previous system,
>> and the kernel that was working on the previous system still worked.
>> In every case I compiled a new kernel with SCSI in the kernel,
>> and that worked perfectly.
>>
>> I've also acquired the habit of making a boot CD with "mkbootdisk
>> --iso"
>> as soon as I get the system working.
>>
>> I found Knoppix and tomsrtbt both "saw" my SCSI disks,
>> I think in all cases.
>> A very old version of SuSE also saw the disks.
>> So why not try Knoppix?
>> If that sees the disks then the problem must lie in the kernel
>> that came with FC2.
>>
> Well I don't know enough about Fedora or linux in general to know
> whether or not the machine "should" boot or not after upgrading from a
> working kernel.  All I know is that it did not work.  I considered
> always booting from a disk because I know I can do that (I installed
> that way and I can go into rescue mode).  I chose not to always boot
> from a disk because I don't want to require the disk to be present for
> the OS to run.

You seem to have misunderstood what I said.
If you upgraded from FC-1 as you said
then the kernel you were using in FC-1 should still be in /boot
and should still work.
In my case the old kernel was listed by grub,
together with the new kernel (which did not work).
Doesn't grub give you a choice of kernels?

Also I wasn't suggesting you should always boot from a CD.
I was simply pointing out that if you had created a boot CD
when FC-1 was running then you could use it now to boot the system
and make any changes necessary.

I see now that you say you can go into rescue mode.
In that case there is obviously nothing wrong with the hard disk setup,
and the problem must lie in the kernel.

But if as you say you upgraded from FC-1,
why is the FC-1 kernel which apparently worked not available now?

As I said, in my opinion the best solution in the long run
is to compile the kernel with the aic7xxx driver in the kernel
rather than in a module.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366