a humble suggestion for newbie guidance

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Sat Sep 11 19:33:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 05:27, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>    undoubtedly making myself even more unpopular, let me throw out a
> short suggestion that will help newbies acclimate themselves here more
> quickly.

<snip>

Some sort of welcoming email like yours (I like the tone, but one should
use some capitalization... <big grin>) coupled with a few hyperlinks to
say the FAQ, both search engines, Lisa's new "README" page, and perhaps
even esr's "more detailed netiquette" is a good idea....  The key of
course is to make it short enough to get people started without any long
diatribes that no-one will read.

Now, how do we get it implemented?

--Rob