FC1 to FC2 HowTo?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Sep 11 22:14:12 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:

> However, and I am sure many agree, I want it to work right. Doing an
> upgrade  when there are known problems with using that path is
> tantamount to saying "I want problems".
>
> I usually watch the list to see how others have fared with the different
> methods, and then go with the path that is easiest and most certain of
> minimal problems.  I tend to go with the path that has a historical
> record of easy and least problems.  For the FC1 to FC2 upgrade that
> meant a clean install for me.

Really?
I haven't been keeping count,
but my impression is that I have seen far more problems
where people simply say the installation does not work
than people who say they have problems with an upgrade.
Of course I have no idea what proportion of people upgrade
or install, so my observation is of very little value.

I always upgrade, but I am in a very delicate position -
I have no floppy drive or CD drive on my laptop
and have to install from the hard disk
after downloading by WiFi.
So I daren't risk losing my connection.

--