Trying to install nVidia card - Beginner

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 12 00:04:49 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 19:42, Bradley (FC2 List) wrote:
> My nVidia package will not install because 'ld' from Binutils is not in my
> path. I can't seem to find an answer on my own.
>
> Could someone tell me what tool to use to make my Path point to 'ld' and
> give me some idea where the path is and what it should look like?
>
> Sorry for such a basic question but just trying to learn.
>
> Bradley

ld should be located in /usr/bin.  If it is not in your path you can add
it with:

PATH = $PATH:/usr/bin
export PATH

This should be part of your default environment for both normal users
and root.

Also, you should be installing the nvidia package as root which should
by default have /usr/bin in its path.

When you use su to change to root make sure to include the - (  su -   )
so that roots environment is used.  Otherwise su by itself changes you
to root permissions but keeps your environment variables.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic
algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.
-- unix manuals