Allowing telnet connection

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Sep 12 04:03:57 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 18:22, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 12.09.2004 schrieb Mike Burger um 1:13:
>
> > /sbin/chkconfig telnet on
> >
> > to turn the service on.
>
> That command does not turn the service on. It just creates the runlevel
> links from default init script settings.
>
> > As a precaution, once you've used the chkconfig line, above, you can:
> >
> > /sbin/service xinetd restart
> >
> > to make sure that xinetd reloads with the telnet server available.
>
> No, it does not reload but restart, means stop and start. To enable the
> telnet server through xinetd the proper command is
>
> service xinetd reload
>
> which reloads by sending a kill -HUP to the process.
>
> > Mike Burger

Alexander

Please explain any (important to the end user) differences between
reload and restart.

Although the process to get there is slightly different, as I understand
it the end result is the same.  The daemon is running with the new
configuration.

Thus, unless I am completely lost here, it really makes no difference to
the user which method is used to reach the same goal.

Your explanation above, while technically correct, is irrelevant to the
end result in this case.

Jeff