Trying to install nVidia card - Beginner

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 12 16:12:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 12:00, Bradley (FC2 List) wrote:

> I couldn't figure out the path on the CD so I copied the rpm to a folder in
> / named 'downloads' and used the 'rpm -Uvh' command. I get: preparing 100%,
> 1:binutils 100% -then error unpacking of archive failed on file
> /usr/bin/gprof: cpio: rename failed -Is a directory.
>
> when using  'rpm -qa | grep binutils' as suggested by Scott Harris, I get no
> message.
>
> I am logged in as root and su in terminal window.
>
> Thanks for all the help.
> Bradley

That seems to indicate you do not have the package installed.

I recommend you use yum to install the packages.  This will handle
dependencies and make sure you get the latest updates.  You will need
network access and you should configure /etc/yum.conf to use a mirror
site.  You can find a list of mirrors on the fedora web site.

I am not sure what is causing the error message you list above.  If you
have a corrupted package you could try downloading it from a repository
again.  However using yum would be the best bet.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

A nasty looking dwarf throws a knife at you.