Red Hat nash problem

Jeremy Conlin jlconlin at umich.edu
Mon Sep 13 02:31:31 UTC 2004

I must preface by thank you and everyone else who has spent so much
time helping me figure out this bizarre problem.

> When you say "I can't boot from the single processor kernel" what
> are you telling me?

When Fedora was installed and I restarted the machine, grub showed two
kernels, a single kernel and a multi-processor kernel.  The issue of
the machine hanging while loading the aic7xxx module happens with both
kernels.
> Can you disable all but one processor in the BIOS.
I don't know.
> Is a single
> processor kernel on the hard disk and in the grub selection menu.
yes

> Are you seeing the graphical boot screen or the old style
> text display with a the green OK messages.  In text mode
> it can be easier to see errors.
I see a graphical grub allowing me to up or down arrow to select which
kernel to boot (or I can push one of several different keys to add
additional options.)

> Can you boot to any of these initstates?
>
>     #   1 - Single user mode
>     #   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3,
> 	if you do not have networking)
>     #   3 - Full multiuser mode
>     #   5 - X11

I don't know.  The only thing I have been able to boot to is the rescue
mode using the 1st installation disk.

> Do they act differently when you try each?
>
> Can you use the rescue disk and install (rpm -i) kernel-2.6.8-1.521
> Do not install a smp kernel at this time.
I have not done that.  Does it simply install/compile another kernel?
Is it already on the disk?

> In rescue mode can you comment out the fstab lines
> for your SCSI RAID files system and if so does the box boot.
You are beginning to get way outside of my area of expertise.  I don't
even know what fstab is but I would love to know.  Keep in mind that I
cannot exclude the SCSI RAID device(s) because that is where my hard
drives are.

Thanks again for your support.
Jeremy