automounted filesystems don't work

Alfredo Ferrari list at pceet030.cern.ch
Mon Sep 13 07:38:26 UTC 2004

There is a bug in the FC2 automounter which prevents local ext3 partitions
to be mounted. It spits messages in the system logs like "corrupted
partition". It is in bugzilla (I forgot the #, but if you look for bugs
for autofs, you'll find it). The suggested solution is to download
autofs-4.1.3-4 from http://people.redhat.com/~jmoyer/: it worked for me.

I really don't understand why RH didn't issue an official erratum for
this....

                         Alfredo Ferrari

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Bill Shannon wrote:

> Edward wrote:
>>

>> Bill Shannon wrote:
>>
>>> I upgraded my Fedora Core 1 system (Dell 4550) to Fedora Core 2.
>>> What a disaster!  Lots of stuff no longer works!
>>>
>>> I had several automounted filesystems, local and remote, that worked
>>> fine under Fedora Core 1.  Now they don't work at all.  Here's my
>>> auto.master file:
>>>
>>> # $Id: auto.master,v 1.2 1997/10/06 21:52:03 hpa Exp $
>>> # Sample auto.master file
>>> # Format of this file:
>>> # mountpoint map options
>>> # For details of the format look at autofs(8).
>>> # /misc /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=60
>>> /home   /etc/auto.home  -nosuid
>>> /net    /etc/auto.net   -nosuid
>>> /smb    /etc/auto.smb   -nosuid
>>> #/net   -hosts          -nosuid
>>> #/-     /etc/auto.direct        -nosuid
>>>
>>> Here's /etc/auto.home (the machine is named "dell"):
>>>
>>> shannon -rw,intr        dell:/export/home/shannon
>>> nissan  -rw,intr,tcp    nissan:/export/home
>>> download        -rw,intr,tcp    nissan:/backup/download
>>> backup  -rw,intr,tcp    rosalind2:/backup
>>> # Would like to mount the My Pictures directory, but that doesn't work
>>> pictures        -fstype=smbfs,guest,rw  ://rosalind-pc/c
>>> datsun  -rw,intr,noquota,rsize=512,wsize=512,actimeo=600
>>> datsun:/home/datsun# following causes too many bogus mount attempts
>>> #*      -rw,intr        &:/export/home
>>>
>>> /home/shannon shows nothing.
>>>
>>> Any idea why the automounter isn't working, even for local filesystems?
>>

>> When I run man 'auto.master', the format it gives me does not seem to
>> coincide with the above at all unless I'm missing something?
>
> Since I don't have FC2 running, I can't check the man page there.
> Did this change in FC2?  Certainly this worked in FC1, and seems to
> correspond just fine to the FC1 auto.master man page.  But perhaps
> I'm making bad assumptions based on experience with the Solaris automounter?
>
>> are dell, nissan, and rosalind2 NIS exported file systems?
>
> dell is the local machine.  nissan and rosalind2 are Solaris machines
> exporting filesystems.  dell is not exporting any filesystems.  I'm
> expecting to get a local loopback mount for the dell entry.  None of
> the auto.home entries works.
>
>> Should you be checking NIS stuff maybe? I have a feeling the above is not
>> the problem, but whatever protocols/modules/services are needed to get
>> this auto-mounted isn't running.
>
> I'm not using NIS.

|  Alfredo Ferrari                         ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119         |
|  C.E.R.N.                                ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555         |
|  European Laboratory for Particle Physics||                                |
|  AB Division / ATB Group                 ||  e-mail:                       |
|  1211 Geneva 23                          ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at cern.ch    |
|  Switzerland                             ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at mi.infn.it |