POP & SMTP Server Question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Sep 14 08:01:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 23:55, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Thanks All,
>
> I am now reading over the sendmail docs along with using the dovecot
> imap daemon. Probably will not do POP3 and just IMAP.

Are your users on a private LAN or out at random places on the Internet?

Setting things up for a LAN is quite easy; just add pop3 (and perhaps
pop3s) to the "protocols" line in /etc/dovecot.conf for POP3 access. In
sendmail, edit the sendmail.mc file and remove or comment out (start the
line with dnl) the DAEMON_OPTIONS line referring to 127.0.0.1, if you
haven't already done so (I suspect you have since you previously asked
about setting up sendmail for incoming mail). Edit /etc/mail/access to
enable relaying for your LAN clients, e.g. if your LAN clients are
192.168.4.*, add the following line:

192.168.4	RELAY

then do make -C /etc/mail

Your clients on that LAN should then be able to use your SMTP server.

If your clients are out on the Internet, you'll need to set up SMTP
AUTH, which is a whole lot more complicated. For those clients I'd use
pop3s rather than pop3 so that their passwords aren't sent in clear text
over the public network.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>