Allowing telnet connection

Jerry Winegarden jbw at duke.edu
Tue Sep 14 15:52:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Gregory Woodbury wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 05:17:35PM -0500, Barry Bourdage wrote:
> > I am trying to lean more about the local security on a machine. I have
> a new install, I can SSH to the box, but not telnet. I have added my
> ip range in the allow file, I have turned off the firewall option. What
> else am I missing to allow telnet from a local network.
> >
> > Barry
>
> You need to turn on the telnet server in xinetd.d
>
> 	chkconfig telnet on

Alternatively, you can edit the correct configuration text file
(one of the strengths of Linux).  In this case, it is:

/etc/xinetd.d/telnet

By default, telnet service (controlled by tcpwrappers, thus the
file in xinetd.d) is turned OFF.  This is seen by the line
in this file:

	disable = yes

To ENABLE telnet, you then comment out this line by simply inserting a #
sign at the start of the line.   This is exactly what the above
chkconfig command does for you.

> You say you've added sites to hosts.allow and adjusted the firewall.
> This should finish off turning telnet on.

  .~.   Jerry Winegarden
 / v \  OIT/Technical Support, Duke University
/( _ )\ jbw at duke.edu, http://www-jerry.oit.duke.edu
  ^ ^