Configure Mozilla 1.6 for Web Browsing

Andrea Giuliano a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it
Wed Sep 15 11:23:11 UTC 2004

This could help you (and us): start a terminal and, as root, issue this
command:

# tail -f /var/log/messages

Then start, or restart PPP in the way you are used to, and in the
meanwhile take a look to the output of the above command. You should see
some lines with the string "ppp" somewhere. If you see, among these
lines, something like "...IP address: X.Y.Z.W...", you should be
actually connected to your ISP. Look also for a line like the previous
one, but which explicitly refers to "DNS", or "Domain name service" or
something like this.

Clearly, you could also examine /var/log/messages offline, instead of in
real-time, if you prefer. Looking at it during a PPP session is more
impressive, imho.

Good luck!

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico