Audio format coversion

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Sep 15 12:26:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Trevor Smith wrote:

> On September 14, 2004 7:32 pm, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >
> > It turns out that mplayer itself can do the conversion.  The .wav file
> > sounds fine played back from the hard disk, but I have problems
>
> shoot really? I wonder if there is a way to strip audio from a .MOV
> (quicktime) file. I've wanted to get a song out of a quicktime file into .wav
> format for burning for years now. Damn proprietary bullshit. grr

I found this command on the Web (some HOWTO someplace) after googling:

    mplayer foo.rm -ao pcm -aofile foo.wav -vc dummy -vo null

Now that I see it, I see how it works.  -ao is audio out driver, -aofile
is obvious, -vc is video codecs -vo is video out driver.  I think I could
guess how you might proceed from there.

Still, I can't cut a CD with the result yet...

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu