Installation Issue

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Wed Sep 15 17:58:31 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-09-15 11:38, James Wilkinson whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>Megahertz wrote:
>

>>I am trying to install Fedora Core 2, I have tested
>>all the Cd's to make sure they have passed. And they
>>did. I am running, 366MHz Intel Celeron processor, 4MB
>>ATI Rage IIC, 64MB SDRAM, 20gig hard drive space and
>>yes I'm trying to get the distro just to install and
>>then install a lightweight windows manager (eg.
>>fluxbox).
>>

>And you are installing in text mode, aren't you?
>

>>This is the problem. I partition like this.
>>/ = fill max.
>>/boot = 100MB
>><swap> = 190MB
>>

>With 20 GB, I'd recommend allowing more for swap. It's going to be
>pretty slow if it needs that swap, but it won't crash on you.
>
>There's a possibility that you simply ran out of memory during the
>install. That's much more likely if you were installing in graphical
>mode.
>

>>Right now I got out my
>>old win98 CD and had to install it (BLEH!) and now I'm
>>running win98, though I installed fedora core 2, just
>>the minimum. Worked fine because it only used CD 1.
>>

>So you actually got Fedora installed on a minimum install?
>
>What sort of Internet connection do you have? How fast is it, and do
>you need to use a modem attached to the computer? Can you borrow an
>Ethernet connection?
>
>You might find it easier to get the minimal install, and then let yum
>handle the dependencies for the programs you want.
>
>It would also be possible to try to negotiate the dependency maze
>yourself, and use rpm to install the packages from the other CD. This
>is not for the faint-hearted: there is a reason for the phrase
>"dependency hell"!
>
>If you're worried about your CDs or your drive, you could decide to
>partition your drive further: I'd consider 12 GB for /home, and the
>rest for swap, /boot, and /. What I'd do is format the 12 GB in Win98,
>put the four ISO images there, md5sum them, boot with
>linux text askmethod
>and tell the installer to load from those images. Let it put /home on
>the / partition temporarily: once you've got everything loaded,
>mkfs.ext3 the 12 GB, move anything from the existing /home you need,
>edit /etc/fstab, and mount the new /home partition.
>
>Hope this gives you something to think about,
>
>James.

1. It's hard for me to understand 12 GB for /home -- this sounds like a
personal-use machine.
2. On my FC2, /usr/share is about 3 GB.  All the rest of /usr is about 3
GB.

In his situation, I would carve out a /boot partition of about 75-100
MB, a swap partition of about 512 MB, and throw / into the rest.  The
only good reason to put a /boot as a separate partition at the very
first of the disk is to avoid the infamous 1024 cylinder problem, but
that may not matter here.  When you're a little tight on disk space,
it's better to keep as much in one big partition as possible, excepting
only /boot and swap.

--
Fritz Whittington
I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none. (Ben Shahn)