Simple file sharing between FC2 and Mac OS X?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 16 03:21:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, D. D. Brierton wrote:

> I am running sshd, and I believe that Mac OS X comes with sshd running
> by default. I've seen screenshots of people's GNOME desktop showing
> mounted network drives with an "SSH" emblem -- is there some GNOME-VFS
> uri scheme for opening a remote folder over ssh, like:
>
> ssh://user@192.168.0.5 ?

Not sure about the gui part - but you can mount remote filesystem via
shfs/ssh ( a command line thing) - and then do the graphical browsing
locally.

On FC2:

1. install kernel-module-shfs (available at http://atrpms.net/dist/fc2/shfs/)

2. load the module
modprobe shfs

3. mount the remote filesystem via ssh
mkdir remote-fs
shfsmount user at mac:/home/path remote-fs

4. unmount  remote-fs after done using it.
shfsumount remote-fs

Satish