Audio format coversion

rufous_swanson jlinux at comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 15:39:29 UTC 2004

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> It turns out that mplayer itself can do the conversion.  The .wav file
> sounds fine played back from the hard disk, but I have problems
> burning to a CD.  The burn seems to be fine.  The CD is detected as an
> audio CD and the track starts playing, but all I hear is beeps and
> bleeps.  I tried both normal and byte-swapped burns using xcdroast.

I had this exact same problem and tried all of these things too.  You are totally on the right track. mplayer is working fine, the problem is with the kernel == kernel-smp-2.6.8-1.521.  As I was burning the audio CD I was having the massive memory consumption problems like some other people have reported here.  The other day someone posted three different links to bugzilla, I can't remember what the subject of the post was.

I upgraded from this kernel to one from rawhide.  Even booting an earlier kernel may fix the problem.