CMI9739 chipset sound problem Module: snd-intel8x0

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu Sep 16 20:55:14 UTC 2004

Carlo Orecchia wrote:
> HI All
>
> I got this problem after installing FC2: The sound played fine on the
> initial test (just after installation) but after fedora started no sound
> would play. I went to soundcard detection and retested and it would not
> play.

Carlo,
	Check out your /etc/modprobe.conf file, it should have the following lines:

> # Entry for nVidia AC-97 integrated audio
> #alias snd-card-0 nvaudio
> # ALSA portion
> alias char-major-116* snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> # OSS portion
> alias char-major-14* soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> # AC-97 sound card (on motherboard)
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> options snd cards_limit=1
>
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && \
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore > /dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store > /dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; \
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

I have an nForce 2 chipset as well and this works for me.

You may want to execute the "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" by hand after you
initially configure the card and have it working so that you will
restore a working configuration after each reboot....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net