Kernel with Suspend to Disk support

John Francis john.francis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 00:03:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:42:17 +0800, Ow Mun Heng <ow.mun.heng at wdc.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 11:29, Satish Balay wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, John Francis wrote:
> >
> > > You're right Ow, but it is a bit of a hassle to do this.  Especially
> > > because I like to keep my kernel up to date which would mean
> > > recompiling every time Fedora release an updated kernel.
> Well, if you're like me, I prefer to compile my own kernel. I leave out
> all the modules I don't use and keep my kernel small.

I don't have the time or patience to do this.  Also, I have a large
HDD and plenty of RAM so I don't much care for keeping my kernel
small.

> > > I am just curious as to why this feature has been left out, I would
> > > have thought it to be a heavily used feature.
> Not all laptops support Suspend to Disk. Esp the newer ones with ACPI.

As far as I know, SW Suspend to Disk does not rely on any support from
the laptop or from the laptops ACPI interface.  In fact it should even
work on a PC.  It is analogous to the Windows Hibernate feature.  That
is the whole point.  Rather than worrying about this or that laptop
being supported I can just use a universal, non-laptop dependent way
of suspending.

> > Well suspend-to ram works pretty well here (with APM) - so I never had
> > a need to suspend-to disk. Esp with ACPI not working so well.. (things
> > are still changing there)
> Yes they are.

Unfortunately, it appears that the stock FC2 kernels do not have APM
support compiled in.