Simple file sharing between FC2 and Mac OS X?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Fri Sep 17 00:25:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 15:48, David L Norris wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 00:10 +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> > Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into setting up those. I was
> > wondering whether there might be an even simpler solution -- mounting an
> > external drive via ssh for example (sshd is running on both machines,
> > and wouldn't require any additional setup at all).
>
> SSH should work great but you'd need a real user account on her machine.
> In Nautilus, don't use ssh:// as it won't prompt for a password and
> you'll be left with cryptic error messages.  I use Nautilus with SFTP to
> transfer files to/from my laptop, web server, etc.

Ah, now that really is interesting. One of the things that I've been
confused about is whether sftp needs to connect to a machine that has an
ftp server running on it, or whether all that needs to be running on the
machine you're connecting to is sshd.

> Open "Computer" on your GNOME desktop then open "File" menu -> "Connect
> to Server" item.  Now you can enter a "Location" like
> sftp://user@192.168.0.34 and give it a descriptive "Link Name."

Excellent. I've used this method to connect to other machines before,
but the machines in question always had *both* an ftp server and an ssh
server running on them. I know sftp is part of ssh, but I've never been
clear on whether all it requires at the other end is an ssh server, an
ftp server, or both.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com