Wierd Bind Issues

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Sep 18 00:11:03 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 18.09.2004 schrieb Aaron O'Hara um 1:52:

> I'm using FC1 and the latest release if BIND (9.2.2-P3) and I'm having some
> weird DNS issues.  I have a small network and my FC1 machine is running as a
> DHCP/DNS server with another device acting as a firewall.

Do you block any DNS related ports?

> Anyways, there are some sites which FC1 can't resolve that my ISP can.  For
> example, www.theweathernetwork.com cannot resolve.  It's a valid site that's
> up, but ping and dig can't pull up anything.  There are a handleful of other
> sites that don't work from that server too.

ping has nothing to say, or here that it does not work. In this case at
least ICMP reply is blocked by the site and thus ping has 100% packet
loss. Again, says nothing.

> Most other sites work.  What is the problem and how can I fix it?

What specific and exact message do you get when running dig to the non
working target? What does bind log in such cases?

I do not see anything special with the mentioned site.

> Aaron

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 02:07:05 up 18 days, 23:23, load average: 0.22, 0.36, 0.29