One /home/username shared amongst several Fedora instances using external HD

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 18 23:53:52 UTC 2004

CB schrieb:

> I was thinking of mounting an external firewire drive as my
> /home/username, and then being able to plug this drive into  different
> fedora machines at different times, thus having an identical user
> setup on each machine. Is this feasible? Are  the .* direcories in my
> home directory this portable?
>
> Also, I've seen references to 'automount' around but haven't done any
> homework on it yet. Would I be barking up a reasonable tree in looking
> up how to 'automount' my external drive under /home/username?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Mounting _as_ or _under_ /home/username?

Mounting _as_ /home/username is not possible afaik, but you can mount
your drive wherever you want inside /home/username/what/ever/you/want
and then set the automount as you like it.

For automount under Gnome see:
http://fedoranews.org/krishnan/tips/tip040.shtml

It's for USB-drives but should work for firewire-drives as well - I
suppose. Just set the filesystem appropriately how the drive is formatted.

Regards
Markus