printing over household wireless router network

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Sep 21 12:33:53 UTC 2004

On September 21, 2004 3:54 am, David Keen wrote:

> 1. In Fedora, set up a generic raw printer queue.
> 2. Share the printer.
> 3. In Windows, add printer, selecting “Connect to a printer on the
> Internet”, and using a URL of
> http://hostip:631/printers/RawPrinterQueueName. Select the printer
> driver for this printer as you would for a locally connected printer.
> 4. You may need to open TCP port 631 in your firewall.

Thank you, that worked perfectly! Yes, I had to "open TCP port 631" in my
firewall. I did this with system-config-securitylevel by adding "631:tcp" in
the "Other ports" line. (I'm hoping people won't be able to print files to my
printer now since I still have the router acting as a firewall to the outside
world. <g>)

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com