RH 9 chess program to Fedora

Andrey Andreev andreev at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Sep 21 12:56:35 UTC 2004

YigalB wrote:
> Thank you - I found the place now... although I have been there few
> times but I failed because I am not a detective, and Linux, now I know,
> was made for detectives - the "download" is always hidden, and if it is
> found and you are naïve enough to think "rpm -i will work the first
> time...
Try yum. Search the web for it, find some good repositories. E.g. see
http://fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf

and read http://fedorafaq.org/ in general. The download will remain
hidden, but the substitute for rpm -i will work the first time :)

To do what you did, I just have to do a

	yum search chess

and then

	yum install whatever_goodness_yum_search_found

It is very easy and fast, dependencies are autoresolved, it even takes
care of upgrading everything if you let it (yum update).

> And then you have to guess where the dependencies are("run google"), and
> if you find them you have to guess which one is suitable for your
> machine - and most of the data is encoded within the file name...
Try yum. Dependencies are resolved automatically. People who run the
repositories take care of that for you. And you wouldn't have to search
for the data encoded in the file name once you get it configured.

> Sorry for the frustration, but Linux is good and lovely, but it is not
> user friendly. The man is the same as unix had 20 years ago - keep the
> "no examples at all" line.
And if yum seems too hard (you should give it some time, it is really
simple after all), try Synaptic. It's great for the point-and-click crowd.

> Oh yes - I know the term RTFM (I wrote many user guides in my life, and
> god knows how many times I said:"why don’t they read"), and trust me I
> try the official Linux answer ("run google").
Great!

Regards,

//Andro