/ space usage [SOLVED!]

Mark Haney mhaney at interactsys.com
Tue Sep 21 13:11:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 08:55, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 08:44, Paul Howarth wrote:
> >>The file is owned by you so it's one of your processes that's generating it.
> >>Do you have any cron jobs set up that might generate large volumes of output?
> >>
> >>Paul.
> >
> > Damn.  I wondered what was going on.  The only cron job I run on this
> > machine is setiathome.  I ran it on the old install on this machine and
> > didn't have any problems.  Here's the output of ps:
> >
> > [markh at marius markh]$ ps uaxww | grep mail
> > root      2382  0.0  0.5  7656 2796 ?        S    07:41   0:00 sendmail:
> > accepting connections
> > smmsp     2391  0.0  0.4  7708 2372 ?        S    07:41   0:00 sendmail:
> > Queue runner at 01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
> > markh     3778  0.0  0.1  5056  588 pts/0    R    08:48   0:00 grep mail
>
> OK, so there's nothing appearing to be trying to send mail at the moment.
>
> Try running the cron job command straight from the command line and see if it
> produces any output. Anything you see sent to the terminal would normally get
> mailed to you by cron.
>
> If you don't want the output, discard it by adding
>
>  >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> to the end of the cron job's command line.
>
> Paul.

That's what it was.  Normally I edit cron jobs manually, but with this
particular install I installed KDE as well as GNOME and it looks like
KDE installed a Task Scheduler program in the System Tools section.  In
my laziness I setup setiathome that way and forgot to dump the output to
/dev/null.  It didn't occur to me until you mentioned the cron job and I
looked at it via crontab -e instead of through the task scheduler.
That'll teach me to get lazy. Thanks for all the help.

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney at interactsys.com
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) Kernel: 2.6.8-1.521 GNU/Linux