/boot as an ext3 partition?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 21 16:00:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Di, den 21.09.2004 schrieb Robert P. J. Day um 17:46:
>
>>    historically, i've always created a separate /boot partition as a
>> primary partition, even when i've formatted the rest of my hda drive
>> as an extended partition.
>
> Me too :)
>
>>    given that i want to use LVM on this next install (FC3t2, actually,
>> although this is clearly not a test-related question), is this still
>> the standard approach?  what are the options for the /boot partition
>> that GRUB will understand?  logical partition?  logical volume within
>> LVM?
>
> See:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-lvm-intro.html

ah.  for the benefit of others:

"The physical volumes are combined into logical volume groups, with
the exception of the /boot/ partition. The /boot/ partition can not be
                                                             ^^^^^^^
on a logical volume group because the boot loader can not read it. If
the root / partition is on a logical volume, create a separate /boot/
partition which is not a part of a volume group."

thanks.

rday