How to fix "ignoring font path ... (unreadable)"?

Filippos PresarioD at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 15:37:25 UTC 2004

> xfs[6116]: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
> (unreadable)
> xfs[6116]: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
> (unreadable)
>
> There are actually fonts in these directories, so I assume that it is just
> a mis-configuration of some sort.  I could just edit thoese 2 paths out
> of /etc/X11/fs/config but then I would lose the use of the fonts.

Look at the permissions for 'font.dir', 'font.alias' in those
directories and make sure they are at least root-readable. If they are
try to rebuild them with:

mkfontdir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
ttmkfdir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF
xset fp rehash

See if they are readable now. Try to restart xfs as well if rehashing
doesn't do it.