local host name changing

Juan L. Pastor seguridadlinux at yahoo.es
Sat Sep 25 07:59:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 21:59, Robert Locke wrote:
> The initial hostname is set in the file /etc/sysconfig/network.
>
> Be aware that the networking startup scripts may obtain the hostname
> from a DHCP server or DNS server (as a reverse lookup).
>
> If you set the name to something in /etc/sysconfig/network, it is
> probably a good idea to have that name appear in /etc/hosts (as you were
> thinking), to ensure that your machine knows how to find itself.

On my system I get:

[jlpastor at kalimotxo jlpastor]$ hostname
kalimotxo.euskal.net
[jlpastor at kalimotxo jlpastor]$ hostname --fqdn
kalimotxo.euskal.net
[jlpastor at kalimotxo jlpastor]$ dnsdomainname
euskal.net
[jlpastor at kalimotxo jlpastor]$

My /etc/sysconfig/network is:
[jlpastor at kalimotxo jlpastor]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=kalimotxo.euskal.net

and my /etc/hosts:
[jlpastor at kalimotxo jlpastor]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               kalimotxo.euskal.net kalimotxo
localhost.localdomain localhost

How is it that I get the same output for the hostname and hostname
--fqdn commands?

Juan