Linux on old laptop

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Sep 25 13:44:22 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 03:45, Paul wrote:
> Unfortunately, FC (and RH) distros seem to be aimed at the newer
> machines instead of having a mechanism for text only install for lower
> end boxes (including the ability to have a command line only
> environment)

Huh?

I have at least a half-dozen machines right now running Fedora Core 1
and Core 2 as small servers and as firewall/gateway machines. All are
Pentium "Classic" boxes between 100 and 166 MHz, all have 32MB to 64MB
RAM, and none have more than 1GB of disk space. I have another box
currently on FC3-T2 for testing.

Of course, for their purpose all have been installed in a
command-line-only environment, with the total install taking less than
400MB of space on disk (not including swap).

All these boxes run beautifully and provide services such as mail and
web rather quickly when serving less than 25 clients or so. As
firewalls, any of them can *easily* saturate a T1 (heck, we did that
with 486 boxen).

What ever gave you the idea that RHL/FC cannot be installed text-only,
or with less "shtuff" on lower-end machines?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>
Simpaticus.com